HONOLULU — The Coast Guard and local partners are searching for a missing kayaker off Tavares Beach, Friday.
The 63 year-old male kayaker was last reported to be departing Tavares Beach, Wednesday.
At approximately 9:10 a.m., Thursday, a Coast Guard 45-foot Response Boat-Medium crew from Station Maui located the missing person’s kayak less than 1-nautical mile north of Hookipa Beach Park.
At 6:50 a.m., Thursday, Coast Guard Sector Honolulu watchstanders were notified of the overdue kayaker.
Upon notification, the watchstanders issued an Urgent Marine Information Broadcast, deployed boat crews from Coast Guard Station Maui, and diverted the crew of the Coast Guard Cutter William Hart.
An Air Station Barbers Point MH-65 Dolphin helicopter aircrew and HC-130 Hercules aircrew were also launched to assist with the search.
The weather on scene is winds of 11 to 17 mph and seas up to four feet.
Currently searching are:
- Air Station Barbers Point HC-130 Hercules aircrews
- MH-65 Dolphin helicopter aircrews
- Coast Guard Station Maui 45-foot Response Boat-Medium crew
- The crew of the Coast Guard Cutter William Hart
- Maui Fire Department Air 1 helicopter aircrews
- Maui Fire Department jet-ski crews
- Maui County Police Department