PADET Jacksonville - Office: (904) 714-7606 / After Hours: (786) 393-4138 –
All Coast Guard Southeast imagery can be found on Dvids, here.
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — Coast Guard crews rescued 25-year-old Charles Gregory, Saturday, after he went missing on a 12-foot jon boat, 12 miles offshore of St. Augustine, Florida.
Coast Guard Sector Jacksonville watchstanders received a report from Gregory's family, Friday evening, that he did not return to the Lighthouse Park Boat Ramp.
An HC-130 Hercules airplane aircrew spotted Gregory, Saturday morning, sitting in his partially submerged jon boat. A Coast Guard Cutter Coho boat crew recovered Charles and transferred him to a Station Mayport boat crew who transported him to EMS at Vilano Beach Fishing Pier.
No medical concerns were reported.
“We are pleased about the outcome in this case and I would like to thank all of our local and state partners who were heavily involved in searching for Charles and bringing him home to his family," said Cmdr. Nick Barrow, Coast Guard Sector Jacksonville search and rescue mission coordinator. “While this case resulted in rescuing Charles from a life-threatening situation, it highlights the importance of having safety gear onboard and being prepared for the worst. If you plan to head out on the water, remember to have a life jacket, VHF marine grade radio, signaling devices and an emergency personal locator beacon to contact first responders in case you are in need of assistance.”
Coast Guard and partner agencies involved in the search:
● MH-60 Jayhawk helicopter aircrew from Air Station Clearwater
● HC-130 Hercules airplane aircrew from Air Station Clearwater
● A 45-foot Response Boat-Medium crew from Station Mayport
● A 29-foot Response Boat-Small crew from Station Mayport
● Coast Guard Cutter Coho, an 87-foot coastal patrol boat crew
● St. Johns County Sheriff's Office
● St. Johns County Fire Rescue
● St. Augustine Police Department
● St. Augustine Fire Department
● Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation
For breaking news, follow us on Twitter. For additional information, find us on Facebook and Instagram.